Saturday, February 09, 2008

Not the Most Brilliant Idea...

I have a hard time asking for help. I don't know why...stubborn? shy? too independent? My theory is I don't like to impose on other people, but I know if I knew someone who needed help, I'd be happy to offer some assistance. So I don't even really understand why I tick the way I do. One of those life mysteries. Anyway, the whole point of this is I think I made a poor choice the other day....although it was also one of the moments I got a good laugh about my predicament.







So I just moved to DC, and found a basement apartment (completely unfurnished), where I'll be living by myself until I find a semi-normal guy to split rent with. Since I moved out here with my Subaru jam packed and nothing else, I have been slowly using Craigslist as a way to fill space and create a comfortable living environment. The other day I found a listing on Craigslist for a cheap, but decent sleeper sofa that I thought could be a nice addition to the place. So I went over, met the nice, young, Russian couple and bought the sofa. The husband helped me stuff it in my car (with about 1/3 hanging out the back) and tied down the back so it wouldn't come out. I had no problem getting it to my place, but since it was about 10:30pm I was on my own for getting this 200+ lb. monster through my narrow front door, over a gas heater in the hall, etc. This is where I should have called a friend. Instead I spent the next 3 hours wedging the couch between the two walls, climbing over it dozens of time....pulling from one end, and pushing from the other. The bed portion of the couch eventually swung out pinning even tighter in the hall, and leaving at 3 sizable holes in the wall.....oops. Nice Matt...nice.
The bright side is that the holes were close enough to cover with a picture. This should give me a little time to repair the damage before the landlord notices. By the time I had climbed over the sofa so many times, dragged it across the semi-rough carpet, attempted to shove the bed back into the couch, left holes in the wall, and agonized over my situation for about 3 hours, I realized the bed was broken. Once I got it into the living space, I had to hammer portions of the bed to force it back in.

The first picture of the couch is from the bathroom where I was basically stuck for about 30-45 minutes. I couldn't get around the couch because it was stuck. So I started thinking my options were to either sleep in the bathroom or go outside and sleep in my car and get some help the next way. But I perserverd...put some holes in the wall....and now own a couch. Something I'm definitely proud of.














(note: the floral pattern is covered by a nice conversative tan couch cover. no flowers for me)

Moral of the story....don't be too proud to ask for help. Everyone needs help sometimes....and some people need help all the time. I might be the latter.

6 comments:

WendyG said...

Oh...I'm sorry...but I got a few laughs over this. I'm not sure it it's a Gardner trait, but I often hear, "Why can't you just ask for some help?" from 'she-who will-remain-nameless.' I'm impressed with your resourcefulness in furnishing your apartment. I hope you'll be meeting some people soon...who will ask you-- frequently--what they can do to help you. :)

erin said...

Ha ha! I can just picture you sitting in the bathroom. A song from the past comes to mind, "Matty fatty 2 by 4, can't fit through the bathroom door!!!" How appropriate! Maybe next time you'll ask for help! Gotta love Craigslist, too bad they don't all deliver. We had a really nice guy help deliver our armoire and bring it into the house!

Greg and Tammy said...

Hyserical Matt. I'm proud of you for getting the couch inside, but wondering why you've chosen to cover that beautiful floral print? That 1980's motif is definitely one worth reviving. :)

Kalli said...

Yeah for Matt!!! You are better than Wonder Woman!

Shandis said...

Matt I'm so glad you are on the east coast again! This time we have to meet up or something! I'm so glad your couch has a slip cover!!

kim said...

LOL!!!!!! Thanks for the laugh. I think we're all a little too proud.