Monday, March 17, 2008


Hey, Who Broke My Window?
Oh yeah, that was me. It's been a rough first month for my apartment...holes in the wall, broken windows...come on Matt, time to start treating this like my home.
Actually, it was either break the window, or sleep in my car that night. I went running and when I came back I realized that I didn't have a key for the lock on the door knob. It wasn't that I forgot it....the landlord never gave me one, and I hadn't used the lock all month. Poor timing. So from about 6:30-11:30pm I tried to find a way in without breaking a window. My cell phone was in the apartment so I couldn't call my hometeachers...I don't have anyone's phone number memorized. So after running over to the church and finding a member who let me use their computer/internet, I found my landlord's # and basically asked for permission to break the window. (He was out of town). I asked a neighbor (who I didn't know) if I could borrow a hammer to break a window, which naturally resulted in a skeptical look. He helped me break it and I then spent the next 30-45 minutes cleaning up all the pieces of glass from my carpet. No cuts in my feet yet, so I think I got most of it. I think the tape and cardboard is a nice touch.
The irony of the situation is that my hometeacher happens to be certified locksmith, which I found out after I gave a talk on Sunday and used the experience as part of my talk. Oh yeah, and while I was trying to think of a way to break into my apartment I thought "too bad I don't have a talk coming up. This could be some good talk material. " Naturally, when I finally got into my apartment there was a message on my phone from the Bishop's couselor asking me to speak on Sunday. Be careful what you ask for.

5 comments:

Greg and Tammy said...

You actually wanted to give a talk in church? Sure you didn't put the hammer to your head instead of the window? :)

WendyG said...

This isn't a start to a life of crime...is it? I just read Melissa's blog aboug her home in Arizona being broken into. (Bad stuff.) Where were YOU Sunday? (Not very funny, huh.)

Take care!

Martha said...

Matt, I would love to follow you around for a day. How do you get yourself into so much trouble? Keep life interesting I guess :D

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jay and Megan said...

You must be related to Peter! I am sure you know the story. Matt, you are always good for a laugh! Love you!