Wednesday, June 27, 2007

I thought I said Chile´po....
After approximately 32 hours of traveling and just 30 minutes away from Santiago the fog decided to roll in, and our plan decided to go elsewhere. So my wishes to see Argentina were granted. I´m hanging out in Mendoza, a beautiful city that reminds me of Europe (even though I´ve never been to Europe) just on the other side of the Cordilleran (The Andes Mountains) from Santiago. I could actually see Santiago pretty well from the sky and could pick out all my old areas even though it was 2am. Emily would be proud of my birdseye mapping skills. So this morning I´m hanging out at a very nice hotel hoping I don´t have to pay last night´s bill. I also went for a little walk this morning around the downtown area. I could tell the air was quite polluted by the small cough in the back of my throat by the time I finished. Being winter here there is a bit of an inversion, but overall the sky is pretty clear and it isn´t too cold. It´s amazing how many feelings from my mission are rushing back being down here. It´s been eight years and just seeing Santiago from the air and walking around Mendoza has reminded me a bit of what it was like to be down here. My journal entries don´t seem to conjur up the same emotions. It will be interesting to see how I feel after being here for a full month. I´ve talked a little about looking for a job down here, but not sure if I´m being very realistic about that. I typically make decisions based on how I feel about things, and I´m pretty sure a month will tell me if I could handle it down here.
Last night I met a guy named Raul as we headed to the hotel. He´s from Peru, probably in his mid-40´s and works in exporting/importing heavy machinary. He was asking me a lot of questions regarding exporting back hoes from the US. Fascinating, I know. I volunteered to look up which states had sales taxes and if there were tariffs in the US for exporting such things. While I´ve wanted to get involved in more non-profit work, I´m also interested in learning more about export/import with the US and South America. Raul also happens to be from Cuzco where I´ll be in just over a month. Now I have a friend there that I can visit. His sister owns a hostel in Puno where Ned, Emily, and I will be for a day or two. Anyway, I think people are waiting to use this so I´ll wrap up. Until my next entry...which hopefully isn´t too far off. Signing off from Mendoza...

4 comments:

erin said...

Yeah, your blog lives on! I'm glad you're safe and seem to be doing well! What exactly are your plans for the month? Did you go alone? I'm excited to check your blog and keep posted on your travels! Have fun!

Maren said...

Matty--Peter has some questions about Kaiizen that apparently need to be answered re: the July trip. I don't remember anyone telling ME about a July trip...Big surprise today. Oh well, but I told him I thought you would be checking your email...Should I have him email you? Maybe you can drop him a line. Other than that I think this blog is going to be fabulous. I am very jealous of your adventure and your new friend Raul already. Maybe he needs a mail-away American bride to help him export??? J/k.

Jay and Megan said...

Glad you are going to keep us in the loop. Have a great trip and try to feel sorry for me home with 4 little munckins while you travel the world.

Brent and Sharlene said...

Glad to hear that you finally made it to Chile. Dad talked to Emily tonight and she let us know you would be using your blog to report on your trip. Keep the reports coming. We'll be interested to know about your adventures. Derek's family is coming to Orem tomorrow, so we should have some excitement here for the next week or so.